Monday, February 2, 2009

The love of a 5 year old

Nathan is my five year old son. He is the youngest of 5 children in our family. He was our "shock" baby after Logan was our "surprise". (we were already in the process of adoping our second daughter when a trip to Vegas brought us our "surprise" with Logan. Nate was a "shock" because those 2 little blue lines came a year after my dear husband "took care of that". WE are that 1 in 3,000 who do get pregnant afterwards.)

He is my absolute love. He tells me that he wants to marry me. One time I asked why and he told me because I'm "adorable." Who wouldn't melt. "Adorable" is not a word used to describe me often (ever?) but when he looked up at me with those big blue eyes and announced me adorable I just believed him. That's how it is with 5 year old little boys. Don't get me wrong this is the same little guy who did not potty train until he was just past his 4th birthday. I realize this is still in the "range" of normal pottying but after 4 children before him all stopped using diapers at the age of 3 I was beside myself. What had I done wrong this time? This child could not be bribed with stickers, candy, money NOTHING. So we backed off realizing that THIS child was going to dance (and potty train) to his own drummer. Eventually he did and we are now a year without diapers. YEAH! (this is the snoopy dance that I am doing) Speaking of which Nate is an amazing dancer and LOVES to play Indiana Jones on the PS3. He made video games an aerobic work out long BEFORE the WII came along. He works up a sweat moving and dodging with the joystick in hand as he fights off invaders of all kinds.

Today we are taking him to a speech/audiologist to find out what is going on with his speech. He still sounds like a "little boy" like a 2 or 3 year old. He is talking with the vocabulary of a 5 year old but it is very difficult to understand... not to mention not in a big boy tone. Even children his own age think he is younger because of the way he talks. Sadly this means they often want to play with his older brother Logan in stead. Homeschooling him has become a challenge because he can not make all of the letter sounds or pronounce words clearly. He gets very frustrated so we focus on what he can do well, mazes, numbers, cutting with scissors (he's left handed too). He has an incredible imagination to boot. He says coloring is "boring". He's much too busy for that but give the child a maze and he'll carefully work it out. I can't wait to find out the results of the testing today. Although I love the way he calls me "adorable", I'd REALLY love to know all of the wonderful things he is trying to tell me and the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment