Friday, September 10, 2010

Sweet 16

Today Rob and I celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. I am so glad that God brought the two of us together.

September 10, 1994
Debbie & Rob Scott

Yesterday I was at flag football practice for Logan and Nathan. I was chatting with this woman and we started talking about the firefighters' parade that is today and how the flag football players had been invited to march in it. I mentioned that it was our anniversary and that Rob hadn't mentioned any plans but he had mentioned the parade for the flag football players to participate in and how our boys might want to march. I was a little grumpy about this because the parade is at the same time as I would have been liking to go out to dinner. The sweet woman then mentioned how she and her husband had been married a LONG time and how her husband had made a big to-do out of their dog's birthday on August 1st, even wrapping presents for the dog, but then their wedding anniversary rolled around on August 23rd and he forgot.
"Oh my. How long have you been married?" I asked. "Fifteen years."

I shared this little conversation with Rob last night and we both were struck by how she thought 15 years was a long time to be married. We both agreed that 16 years is a big deal but neither one of us feels that it's been a LONG time. I guess we've been enjoying it or something like that. I will say our marriage has taken a whole lot of commitment on both of our parts.  We seem to make each other better. Today Rob sent me a youtube video of Billy Joel's song, "Just the way you are". It was the song we had our first dance to at our reception. I remember thinking that when we chose this song, "Will you still feel this way about me after we've been married for a long time?"
I guess we still haven't gotten to that long time point yet. I'm just glad we still love each other just the way we are.
I think a big part of the reason for that is because we haven't really tried to change each other. (not that we haven't wanted to at times) We "get" that the reason we work so well is because we are who we are. We don't always agree, we don't always want the same goals or maybe we do have the same goals but are just seeing different ways to reach them, but in the end we see marriage as a partnership and most of all we do respect and love each other. We've done great things together that neither one of us would have done alone. We've helped each other grow. We've had plenty of  good times building our life together and have committed ourselves to our children. All in all I'd say it's been a very sweet 16 years.

                 Don't go changing, to try and please me


You never let me down before

Don't imagine you're too familiar

And I don't see you anymore

I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble

We never could have come this far

I took the good times, I'll take the bad times

I'll take you just the way you are



Don't go trying some new fashion

Don't change the color of your hair

You always have my unspoken passion

Although I might not seem to care



I don't want clever conversation

I never want to work that hard

I just want someone that I can talk to

I want you just the way you are.



I need to know that you will always be

The same old someone that I knew

What will it take till you believe in me

The way that I believe in you.



I said I love you and that's forever

And this I promise from the heart

I could not love you any better

I love you just the way you are.

September 10, 2010


5 & 2 @ 52

No comments:

Post a Comment