Friday, May 7, 2010

Sharing Her Better Sides

I don't know about you, but I love visiting a new home for the first time. The words, "Would you like a tour?" make me giddy. I love how everyone's home is so personal and can either reflect their personality or cause you to get to know a whole new side of them. Sometimes they just haven't had the time or resources to make the changes that they really want to or it may have reflected them 10 years ago but now they are looking for something fresh.

I have a confession to make, I am a sentimental fool. I save the most silly of things. It is so hard for me to let go that it gets to the point that I am overwhelmed bordering on anxiety. So the photos I'm about to post are a lie. They are misleading. They are carefully planned to show my home's best side. You see it's not her fault that I have this problem and she really doesn't deserve the treatment I've given her. She deserves more. So rather than show her as she really is... I will be showing off her best assets.

Here is the balcony over our family room.
I love having a two story family room.
I love these two guys too.

We decided to go with a half wall rather than spindles
because we thought that would discourage toys
from being thrown down on us.
This was not foolproof especially with the
GI Joe guys and their parachutes.


Above our kitchen cabinets are some of my favorites.
an old fan
a weathervane from Maine
a birdcage
I also have a collection of old tins.


And here is our family tree wall.


The picture makes me think I need to
add some more photos to this wall.
This always makes me happy.


What EVERY librarian needs.
I simply ADORE this card catalog.
The only problem, if you can call it that,
is WHAT to store in the drawers.
It is in our entryway/foyer.
I read somewhere that your foyer is the first impression people make of your home. It should reflect the family. Well our foyer has the family tree wall of photos and this card catalog. I think that is a fairly good representation of us.
The funny thing is we RARELY use the front door.
If you look to the room on your right
 you'll see an air hockey table in our "formal" living room.


Every formal living room should have one don't you think.
We are not exactly a formal living room family.


Here she is under a blanket of snow.
See, she's really quite beautiful
and
deserves more from me.



Always trying to get it better,

No comments:

Post a Comment